born August 14, 1968
|Birthplace||New York, NY|
Justin Robinson is an important member of the generation of jazz musicians who began their careers in the late 1980s to early 1990s. Justin got his professional start at age 18 in the Harper Brothers Quintet, making his first recording with them in 1988. Three years later, he made his first recording with Roy Hargrove, on pianist Stephen Scott's debut album "Something To Consider." Justin would continue playing with Roy for the rest of Roy's life.
Justin played on three of Roy's albums, and Roy played on Justin's 2010 album "In The Spur Of The Moment," his third as a leader. Justin's first album as a leader, "Justin Time," was recorded on his 23rd birthday and produced by Bobby Watson . Other prominent musicians Justin has recorded and/or performed with include Cecil Brooks III, Diana Ross, Abbey Lincoln, Little Jimmy Scott, and Roland Alexander .
Justin played for about two years in the Dizzy Gillespie Alumni All-Stars big band, directed by trombonist Slide Hampton, and earlier in the Carnegie Hall Jazz Band, directed by trumpeter Jon Faddis.
An inventive soloist with a striking, expressive sound, Justin is also a very distinctive composer. Many of his songs are quite simple, with short, often cyclical forms. His most recent album, "At First Light," contains six original compositions.
- Alana's Fantasy - Justin Robinson Ballad
- Apocalypse - Justin Robinson Swing (medium up)
- At First Light - Justin Robinson Ballad
- Cognitive Activity - Justin Robinson Swing (uptempo)
- It Rained All Day In Rio - Justin Robinson Latin (medium)
- Love Thy Father - Justin Robinson Ballad
- No More Sacrifices - Justin Robinson Latin (Calypso)
- Paula - Justin Robinson Even 8ths (slow)