Sister Salvation – Slide Hampton
From the spiritual tradition, Slide's medium up swing in 3/4 preaches the truth, as played by horns.
All selected items will be available for download after purchase.
- Recording: Slide Hampton - Sister Salvation
- Recorded on: February 15, 1960
- Label: Atlantic (LP 1339)
- Concert Key: B-flat
- Vocal Range: , to
- Style: 3/4 swing (medium up)
- Trumpet - Freddie Hubbard, Bob Zottola
- Trumpet - Richard Williams
- Tenor Sax - George Coleman
- Baritone Sax - Jay Cameron
- Trombone - Slide Hampton
- Euphonium - Bernard McKinney
- Tuba - Bill Barber
- Bass - Nabil "Knobby" Totah
- Drums - Pete LaRoca
In the same year, Slide also recorded with vocalist Ruth Brown, with bassist Charles Mingus and also with pianist Randy Weston. Slide had been recording with as well as writing originals and arranging for the Maynard Ferguson band since May 1958. He continued recording with Maynard until 1962, did dates with Maynard again in 1967, then arranged another date for him in 1978.
born on April 21, 1932
Trombonist Locksley Wellington "Slide" Hampton was born in Jeannette, Pennsylvania. The Hamptons were a very musical family in which mother, father, eight brothers and four sisters all played instruments and formed a family band. The family moved to Indianapolis in 1938. In 1944, at the age of twelve, Slide played in his family's Indianapolis jazz band, The Duke Hampton Band. Read more...