Mental Phrasing – Roy Hargrove
An upbeat swing that fuses modern jazz, hard bop, and even a bit of Latin into one slick package.
All selected items will be available for download after purchase.
- Recording: Roy Hargrove - With The Tenors Of Our Time
- Recorded on: January 16 & 17, 1994
- Label: Verve (314-523019-2)
- Concert Key: No key center
- Vocal Range: , to
- Style: Swing (medium up)
- Trumpet - Roy Hargrove
- Tenor Sax - Ron Blake, Joshua Redman
- Piano - Cyrus Chestnut
- Bass - Rodney Whitaker
- Drums - Gregory Hutchinson
- Trumpeter Roy Hargrove plays his MENTAL PHRASING with Joshua Redman, Ron Blake, Peter Martin, Rodney Whitaker, and Gregory Hutcherson. Leverkusen 1994
- Trumpeter Alex Campbell works on phrasing as he records himself playing the out melody along with the original recording of Roy Hargrove's Mental Phrasing.
October 16, 1969 – November 2, 2018
Roy Hargrove was a pioneer in modern hard-bop jazz and is widely regarded as one of the best trumpeters to emerge from the 1990s. As a high school student in Waco, Texas, young Roy met Wynton Marsalis in 1987. Impressed with the young man's talent, Wynton encouraged Roy. In April, 1988, while still a teenager, Roy traveled to NYC and slept on the couch in Don Sickler's rehearsal studio in preparation for his recording debut in the big leagues with Don ("Superblue"). Before leaving New York on that trip he also recorded with alto saxophonist Bobby Watson ("No Question About It"). Read more...